Thursday, May 5, 2016

Socratic Seminar Reflection

Tuesdays With Morrie 

          The past four Socratic seminars have influenced my thinking about Tuesdays With Morrie and life in general in a major way. It mostly brought awareness to me about the fact that you never know what is going to happen. Morrie was this healthy, young man that looked like nothing would ever happen to him. He ended up with ALS. It made me look at Morrie like he was an example of the fact that life can give you unexpected events. It made me see that this book had several different meanings as to why it was written. It also made me see that life has to be lived to the fullest. Not knowing what will happen in the future makes me feel like I should appreciate it, be happy, and love others in the present. 


          Trends that I notice about myself and personal goals for each seminar is that I want to get other people involved. I would always make it a goal to get anyone else involved. Throughout our last four discussions, I brought forth new ways of looking at things. I mentioned how some characters in this book are on the contrary of characters from To Kill A Mockingbird. I also showed, while discussing our ‘Morrie Test’, how much people can be oblivious to simple things. I explained that I've never seen the 7 flags in front of my neighbor’s house. 

          One trend that I noticed with the class was for most of the seminars, we would mainly focus on the book and the feelings that would come from it. We also talked a lot about aphorisms and how they can be applied to our lives. Something that I noticed that helped/hindered a specific seminar was the connections we made from the book to the world. I think that played a major part in making the Socratic seminar successful. We were able to see how the things in the book applied to not only our lives, but to the lives other people. 


No comments:

Post a Comment